The Student News Site of Darien High School

Neirad

Breaking News
  • April 23Juniors - Blue Wave Anchor Application due 4/26
  • March 31Sophmores - Sign up for the Practice ACT on 4/7
  • March 11Seniors - Internship applications due 3/18
  • March 11Grab some friends and attend the Spring Bonfire on 3/22!
  • January 17Check out scholarships - they're not just for seniors
  • December 4Read New Stories Below ‼‼
  • December 1Follow Student Government on Insta!! @dhs.studentgov

Neirad

Neirad

The mural painting class is available to juniors and seniors who have taken Drawing and Painting 3 and received teacher approval. Before painting the mural students must get the design and location approved with administration.
Music Notes, Statues and a Cow?
Katie Galligan, Journalist • April 14, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Would you buy coffee from the cafeteria if they sold it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

S² Suggestions: Top Things to Do in NYC Over the Winter Break

Embrace the chill of winter in New York City

As the winter break creeps up behind us, students and families in Darien are anxious to explore outside the confines of our town. It is here that an iconic NYC experience calls to people over the holiday break. Don’t miss the chance to live your Hallmark movie fantasies by checking out some of our holiday recommendations!

1. Ice Skating at Rockefeller Center

Under the twinkling lights of the renowned Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, people love to glide over the ice. It’s a famous NYC activity that perfectly captures the charm of the chilly season. Don’t pass up the opportunity to spin around on the ice amid the holiday lights and skyscrapers. DHS Senior Mallory Sloan visits the ice skating rink every year with her family: “It’s my favorite tradition. I don’t get to ice skate much throughout the year, so I love the fact that when I do, it’s in Rockefeller Center!”

At Columbus Circle, visitors are greeted with an abundance of gifts and treats that welcome everyone!

2. Visit Holiday Markets

Explore the city’s numerous holiday markets such as Bryant Park’s Winter Village or Union Square Holiday Market if you want to prepare for the upcoming holidays. These markets offer unique gifts, artisanal crafts, and delicious seasonal treats. Stroll through the rows of vendors, sip on hot cocoa, and find one-of-a-kind souvenirs.

3. Catch a Broadway Show

Even though ice skating and holiday markets are entertaining and lively, an opportunity to escape the cold is a must; by immersing yourself in the warmth of a Broadway production, people get to live the true experience of NYC. From classic musicals to new plays, there’s something for everyone. For families, we recommend seeing the classic Wicked and the Lion King! By feeling the energy of live performances, you get to experience the unparalleled talent of Broadway actors.

4. Enjoy Spectacular Light Displays

Saks Fifth Avenue’s famous Holiday snowflake light show consists of 72,000 lights with fifty 8-foot and 20-foot illuminated snowflakes, reaching 10 stories high! (Picasa 2.7)

Since New York City transforms into a magical wonderland with millions of holiday lights right after Thanksgiving, it’s good to know where to find the best Christmas lights in NYC. Witness the city come alive by seeing over-the-top inflatable Santas and reindeer at the Dyker Heights Christmas Lights in Brooklyn or by seeing more iconic New York displays, such as in Central Park and Rockefeller Center. Additionally, marvel at the stunning displays at Saks Fifth Avenue!

5. Savor Seasonal Treats

Indulge in winter-themed delights at NYC’s renowned eateries. Warm up with a cup of rich hot chocolate from City Bakery or try the famous cronuts at Dominique Ansel Bakery. Don’t forget to sample traditional holiday dishes like gingerbread cookies and peppermint treats! Senior Alexa Zaino said, “The best hot chocolate I’ve ever had was at the City Bakery”.

6. Visit Museums and Cultural Institutions

Escape the cold by exploring the city’s world-class museums and galleries. From the Metropolitan Museum of Art to MoMA, immerse yourself in art, history, and culture. Many museums also host special winter exhibitions and events during this time.

Winter in New York City is a magical time filled with festive cheer and endless entertainment. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, these activities capture the essence of the season and make for unforgettable memories in the Big Apple.