The Student News Site of Darien High School

Neirad

Breaking News
  • April 23Juniors - Blue Wave Anchor Application due 4/26
  • March 31Sophmores - Sign up for the Practice ACT on 4/7
  • March 11Seniors - Internship applications due 3/18
  • March 11Grab some friends and attend the Spring Bonfire on 3/22!
  • January 17Check out scholarships - they're not just for seniors
  • December 4Read New Stories Below ‼‼
  • December 1Follow Student Government on Insta!! @dhs.studentgov

Neirad

Neirad

The mural painting class is available to juniors and seniors who have taken Drawing and Painting 3 and received teacher approval. Before painting the mural students must get the design and location approved with administration.
Music Notes, Statues and a Cow?
Katie Galligan, Journalist • April 14, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Would you buy coffee from the cafeteria if they sold it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Best Things To Do in NYC at Christmas

Check out all of the fun holiday activities that New York City has to offer!
June Marie
The magical pathway, surrounded by angels, leading to the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree

A glowing tree stands 80 feet tall as millions of people from around the world take pictures. Red buckets accompanied with cheerful employees ringing bells to the melody of Christmas tunes line the sidewalks. Everyone walks with a little more pep in their step as they admire the bedazzled windows of Saks and Macys. Christmas has arrived in New York City!

New York City has always been a popular tourist destination, but the holiday season brings in thousands, if not millions, more people. If you plan on making the journey and braving the crowds, here are some of the best things to do in New York at Christmas:

Go to the Bryant Park outdoor shops

With over 180 shops, the Bryant Park market is sure to delight any age. This year in particular, the market has taken off due to its popularity on social media. Many influencers have taken to their accounts to rate the food that the shops have to offer. From raclette cheese to s’mores hot chocolate there is something for everyone. Additionally, the Bryant Park market features handmade items from local vendors which means not only are you buying a fabulous Christmas gift but you are also supporting an artist.

People admire the Bryant Park shops on a chilly winter day (J J)

Visit the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree

An iconic NYC Christmas landmark is none other than the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. Glimmering with lights and topped with a Swarovski crystal star the tree truly never gets old. However, do be warned that the crowds can get a little hectic, especially on the weekends. In addition to seeing the tree, you can go ice skating at Rockefeller Center. Tickets for the rink can be purchased in advance online or on-site. Skating sessions are 60 minutes long.

Families skate on the ice rink with the Rockefeller Center Tree towering behind them (alh1)

While you’re at Rockefeller Center…stop by FAO Schwarz

Nowadays toy stores seem to have gone out of style. However, FAO Schwarz made its triumphant return to NYC in 2018. Filled with whimsical stuffed animals, interactive experiences, and everything in between FAO is a must for children. A Tripadvisor description reads “Here, customize dolls and plush toys, wonder at the singing moon face that graces the mechanical clock tower, or hop out a melody out on a massive floor keyboard.” Make sure to say hello to the iconic soldiers standing outside greeting the crowd!

Children dance on FAO’s iconic larger-than-life piano (David)

Have tea at the Plaza

Though this activity leans towards the pricier side, it is undoubtedly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Every year the Plaza channels the song “Deck The Halls” and goes all out for the holiday season. Fresh flowers fill the lobby with their pungent scents, and festive music echoes throughout the room. For fans of the Eloise book series, the Plaza also offers a special Eloise-themed tea platter for children (and children at heart, of course).

The extravagant Plaza Hotel Christmas-themed afternoon tea platter (@theplazahotel)

Watch the Radio City Christmas Spectacular

Many families have the classic holiday tradition of going to watch the Rockettes eye-high kicks at Radio City Music Hall. For those who feel that they’ve seen the show enough times throughout their lifetime, it is important to note that the show is constantly changing and adding new elements. For example, a fairly new addition is the Dance of the Frost Fairies. A recent raving review on the New York City Theatre website reads “I was so impressed with the way the show has changed and evolved with multimedia, visuals, and musical tones to appeal all ages.” With iconic numbers such as the Wooden Soldiers and the Living Nativity, the Rockettes never disappoint! Click here to purchase tickets.

The Radio City Rockettes perform their eye-high kicks in the iconic “Christmas in NYC” number (Scott Baldwin)

End your day with a stroll by the windows of Macys, Saks, and more

There’s nothing more enchanting than the holiday windows that bedazzle the entire city. Each year the stores choose different themes to base their windows off of. For example, the Saks theme this year is “Dior’s Carousel of Dreams.” Regarding this year’s theme, the Saks website describes “Monsieur Dior’s dream trip from Paris to New York in 1947 serves as the inspiration for the windows, which are intricately designed by a collective of artisans sourced from all over the world. Monsieur Dior is seen going on a journey from Paris to NYC within the windows, with each one serving as a stop along the way.” Additionally, every 10 minutes Saks runs an elaborate light show that is completely free. It’s also quite heartwarming to watch the children press their noses up to the windows in awe.

The Dior-themed miniature windows displayed at Saks this year (@saks)

New York City has so many fun activities to offer during the holiday season that appeal to “kids from one to ninety-two.” And most of the activities don’t close immediately after Christmas, so if you would prefer less crowds consider visiting in early January (after the Times Square ball has dropped).