The Student News Site of Darien High School

Neirad

Breaking News
  • April 23Juniors - Blue Wave Anchor Application due 4/26
  • March 31Sophmores - Sign up for the Practice ACT on 4/7
  • March 11Seniors - Internship applications due 3/18
  • March 11Grab some friends and attend the Spring Bonfire on 3/22!
  • January 17Check out scholarships - they're not just for seniors
  • December 4Read New Stories Below ‼‼
  • December 1Follow Student Government on Insta!! @dhs.studentgov

Neirad

Neirad

Poll

This poll has ended.

Would you buy coffee from the cafeteria if they sold it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Top 10 Holiday treats!

Not sure what treat to bring over to the family holiday dinner? Here are a variety of treats that are guaranteed to be a big hit!
Top 10 Holiday treats!
Flickr

As Christmas and holiday break is fastly approaching upon us merrily, let us go on Neirad.org to find some holiday delectables that will hopefully turn your resting grinch face upside down. Yule be sorry if you don’t take a glance at these tree-mendously yummy holiday treats.

-Christmas Cookies

Not only a tasty treat but a treat visible to eyes, christmas cookies are always dependable when looking a treat to bring to a christmas party, or looking for a treat to bake with others.

Christmas Cookies are a great treat to bake and decorate with others! Freerange Stock

-Hot chocolate

Milk, cream, and chocolate what combination of foods could compare to this chocolatey drink. Perfect for any holiday activity, we highly recommend drinking this delicious treat while watching a holiday movie.

Did you know Hot Chocolate is one of the most popular drinks in the world! Freerange Stock

-Sticky buns

Similar to cinnamon rolls, sticky buns have a crunchy nut topping and loads of sugar that will help you power through opening presents.

A Christmas morning ritual, since Winnie’s first Christmas her family has always had sticky buns while opening stockings. Similar to cinnamon rolls, sticky buns have a crunchy nut topping and loads of sugar that will help you power through opening presents.

Bûche De Noël

Translated from French– “log of Christmas”. This log shaped chocolate cake originated from France during the medieval times to honor the burning of the yule log. The cake has stayed popular since and can be found eaten on Christmas Eve or Christmas day dessert.

-Eggnog

Annabel’s Mother’s specialty especially with her Puerto Rican twist. Every year at the Burke household you will find a pitcher of non-alcoholic eggnog on Annabel’s dining table. The chilled cinnamon punch, is a classic and is usually served towards the end of the evening, as a toast to a good night of rest.

-Panettone

Originally from Milan Italy, this sweet bread is used to celebrate the New Year and can be seen as a holiday staple in homes around the world. According to the BBCThe ‘mother yeast’ gives the bread its irreplaceable texture and sweet, almost imperceptibly-tangy flavour. It also means that each bakery’s panettone has its own specific flavour.”

-Fruit cake

Similar to Panettone, Fruit Cake is a holiday cake made with dried fruits and nuts and is a holiday staple in Great Britain. In the United Kingdom, some cakes may be iced and decorated.

-Gingerbread

Annabel’s fondest memory of going to her grandmother’s home for the holidays, is being greeted with a bowl of gingerbread snaps!

Annabel’s favorite type of baked good, the broad range of treats that can come from ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon are endless. Annabel’s favorite variations of gingerbread are gingerbread cookies and gingerbread snaps. Her fondest memory of going to her grandmother’s home for the holidays, is being greeted with a bowl of gingerbread snaps!

-Trifle 

Winnie’s favorite Christmas dessert, Trifle is always served for Christmas dessert at her grandparent’s house. The dessert has layers of sponge cake, custard, whipped cream, and fruit, it makes a timeless and delicious Holiday dessert.

Flickr

-Pavlova

How many berries do you think are garnished on-top?

Light, fluffy, and sweet Pavlova is perfect for not leaving you feeling excessively full! Garnished with cherries and crushed candy canes, it looks like it came right out of the Nutcracker!