The Student News Site of Darien High School

Neirad

Breaking News
  • April 23Juniors - Blue Wave Anchor Application due 4/26
  • March 31Sophmores - Sign up for the Practice ACT on 4/7
  • March 11Seniors - Internship applications due 3/18
  • March 11Grab some friends and attend the Spring Bonfire on 3/22!
  • January 17Check out scholarships - they're not just for seniors
  • December 4Read New Stories Below ‼‼
  • December 1Follow Student Government on Insta!! @dhs.studentgov

Neirad

Neirad

The mural painting class is available to juniors and seniors who have taken Drawing and Painting 3 and received teacher approval. Before painting the mural students must get the design and location approved with administration.
Music Notes, Statues and a Cow?
Katie Galligan, Journalist • April 14, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Would you buy coffee from the cafeteria if they sold it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Food: Top Places to Get a Sandwich in Darien

The ultimate comfort food.

New York has its pastrami sandwiches, Pennsylvania has the infamous Philly Cheesesteak, and New Jersey has its hot dogs. Arguably, New England is home to some of the best dishes in America.

Where does that leave Connecticut on the list?

I believe that Connecticut has all the best aspects of New England food, and our 723 delis scattered across the state stand to that statement. Darien should not be left out, so here is a list of the five best spots in our town to get a taste of New York, Philly, New Jersey, and other sandwiches made unique by each deli.

1. Uncle’s Deli

Uncle’s Deli opened in Downtown Darien in 1987 and is home to overstuffed sandwiches and some of the best bacon, egg, and cheeses in Darien. It has many different varieties of sandwiches as well. Craving Thanksgiving food in July? Try their Thanksgiving roll-up complete with sliced turkey breast, stuffing, cranberry sauce, onion, lettuce & fresh basil mayo, available all year-round. Another thing that makes Uncle’s Deli special is the Uncle Buck which is given to each

Uncle’s Deli (Lily Saverine)

customer after their purchase. As it says on the bottom of the buck once you get 15 Uncle Bucks you can turn them in for a free sandwich!

Open hours: 

Mon-Fri: 6am-5pm

Sat: 7am-5pm

Sun: 8am-4pm

2. Mama Carmela’s Deli

Mama Carmela’s Deli has been locally owned and operated for 20 years and is located on Post Road across from Hindley Elementary School. It has 76 different options of omelets, wraps, sandwiches, salads, and paninis, as well as a make-your-own option. Mama’s staff is known to be very friendly, which adds to the overall home-y feel. 

Mama Carmela’s Italian Deli (Lily Saverine)

Open hours: 

Mon-Fri- 6am-4pm

Sat: 7am-3pm

Closed Sundays

3. Vavala’s Deli

Vavala’s Deli is on Heights Road just near Darien Commons and has been there for over 40 years. Vavala’s is the closest deli to DHS, only 1.3 miles away— perfect place to stop and get a snack after school. It’s not too expensive, either— the highest priced items only go up to $11.99. Vavala’s Deli is located on 156 Heights Rd.

“Vavala’s workers are efficient, and the deli has a large variety of sandwiches, along with huge proportions for low prices.”

— Franke Calve '26

Open hours: 

Mon-Sat: 7am-3pm

Closed Sundays

4. Michael Joseph’s Catering

Regardless of the name, Michael Joseph’s is not just for catering. Michael Joseph’s is one of the more unique delis on this list, being connected to Nielsen’s Florists and having a rather special view of the greenhouse. It was founded in 1985 and along with catering events, has a rather large selection of specialty sandwiches, paninis, and salads. It also has a large selection of granola bars, drinks, and chips. I highly recommend Michael Joseph’s, especially to anyone who hasn’t gone before.

Michael Joseph’s snack and side selection (Lily S)

Open hours: 

Mon-Fri: 7am-4pm

Sat: 8am-3pm

Closed Sundays

5. Jake’s Place Diner

Last place on this list is Jake’s Place, the only diner on this list. I still decided to include Jake’s Place because its amazing burgers and sandwiches don’t deserve to be ignored. Jake’s lunch options (served from 11am to closing time) consist of many variations of hamburgers/cheeseburgers, grilled sandwiches, and Jake’s specials (my go-to order is the Jake’s burger, a charbroiled burger in a grilled cheese with Russian salad dressing and coleslaw). Jake’s is also close to DHS, only 1.2 miles away. 

Interior of Jake’s Place Diner: photo from Jake’s Place website

Open hours:

Mon-Sat 6am-3pm

Closed Sundays