Behind Six Goals From Chloe Humphrey; Wave Girls Lax Overcomes New Canaan

Michael McCormack (DHS '25)

Darien senior captain Chloe Humphrey on the dodge in a 2023 contest aganist the New Canaan Rams

Braden Schenck, Writer

Last year was a storybook season for Darien Girls Lacrosse, an undefeated regular season and the top seed in the FCIAC and state tournaments, although one task seemed impossible, beating the New Canaan Rams in the postseason. Losses in the FCIAC Championship and CIAC State Championship is how Darien left their 2022 season, and the Wave got a chance to get some regular season revenge on the Rams Wednesday at Dunning Field.

Both teams lost some major contributors to graduation although with some returning faces and new faces stepping up it was the same Darien New Canaan rivalry everyone is accustomed to seeing.

New Canaan won the opening draw and took their time on the first possession until the sophomore Maddie Tully converted on the free position to put New Canaan up 1-0 just 90 seconds in.

Darien got the quick answer with Sadie Stafford finding a wide-open Jillian Vaught for a close-up shot and goal for the senior committed to Villanova. 1-1 two minutes in.

This goal started a Darien rally as Chloe Humphrey converted on a free position to give Darien their first lead, and then Humphrey struck again scoring the next two goals in the contest both within a minute of each other making it 4-1 Wave.

Junior attacker Kelly Holmes with the ball at Dunning Field in a 2023 Girls Lacrosse contest. (Michael McCormack)

Kelly Holmes then added a pair of goals for Darien off two cuts up the lane and put Darien up 6-1.

The Wave were rolling as they had scored the last six goals unanswered.

After the first 25 minutes of play, Darien led 6-3 and was playing this Rams team tough.

The Darien offense hit a bit of a drought at the end of the first half, going the last 12 minutes without a goal. Fear not, as Lisa Lindley rallied her troops up and right out of the gate in the 2nd half the Wave had an answer.

Humphrey starting her dodge at X wrapped the ball around and dropped the stick angle to go through the five-hole of Cece Patterson, and Chloe extended the Wave lead to 7-3.

New Canaan did get one back from Lexie Tully to cut it down to 7-4 however off another draw control Sadie Stafford took advantage of the switch on the Rams’ defense and she scored on Patterson to make it a 8-4 game.

Humphrey would go on and score her 5th goal and 6th goals of the game a few minutes later with two well-placed wrap-around shots to give Darien a 9-4 and 11-4 lead respectively. Humphrey has had numerous six or seven-goal games this season, and this contest against New Canaan is another to add to the resume.

Darien junior goalie Hope Schoudel directing her defense in a 2023 game against New Canaan. (Michael McCormack)

As the final buzzer rang the Darien Blue Wave took down New Canaan by the final of 11-6 from Dunning Field in a game that the Wave offense shined. Darien had remained perfect at 11-0 on the season, and this win showed that the Wave is the powerhouse of the FCIAC.

While the Wave might have gotten the win in the regular season, this rivalry is far from over. Having met in the last three FCIAC Championships and last four state championships there is a high chance these rivals will reunite come June.

Until the next meeting, Darien can say they have the upper hand against the Rams with this 11-6 victory.

Darien’s next game comes on Saturday the 30th as the team travels to Cold Springs Harbor High School on Long Island for a clash with the St. Anthony’s Friars in the 2023 Gains for Brains tournament.

Darien 11,

New Canaan 6

DARIEN                6 5 — 11
NEW CANAAN   3 3 — 6

Goals:
Darien: Chloe Humphrey 6g:  Jillian Vaught 1g, 3a; Kelly Holmes 2g; Sadie Stafford 1g, 1a; Ryan Hapgood 1g.
New Canaan: Maddie Tully 3g; Lexie Tully 2g; Sydney Patten 1g.

Goalies: D – Hope Schoudel 10 saves; NC – Ceci Patterson 11 saves.

Records: Darien 11-0 (5-0 FCIAC); New Canaan 8-1 (4-1 FCIAC)