Girls Soccer Ties Trumbull in a Seesaw Match


Darien striker Sadie Stafford (photo courtesy of DAF)

Braden Schenck, Writer

Wednesday afternoon saw the Darien Blue Wave girls soccer team take on the Trumbull Eagles in a battle of two undefeated squads.

The offenses got started right away in the 8th minute when Trumbull’s Mackenzie Peters was on a rush and sent a centering pass to Madeline Lojiko who tried to chip the ball past Darien’s net miner in Jillian Fox. However, Fox made her first of 16 saves on the day with that stop.

Fox was tested again in the 22nd minute when a Kate Min handball resulted in a penalty kick for the Eagles. Lojiko went to Fox’s right but a diving Jillian Fox made the big stop.

Another opportunity for the Eagles came in the 31st minute of play. Off a corner kick, Eagles junior Taylor Lilly was looking for the corner of the net before again a diving Fox would make the one-handed save.

Jillian had prevailed for the first 40 minutes making 11 saves keeping the score at 0-0 heading into the half.

However, the second half would be the seesaw battle that decided the outcome.

Entering the 51st minute of play the Eagles had yet another penalty kick. This time it was the senior Mackenzie Reid going one-on-one with Fox. A beautifully placed shot found the back of the net giving the Eagles the first score of the match.

It only took Darien’s Sadie Stafford three more minutes to put the Wave on the board. What started with an Anna Von Kennel deflected shot found its way right to the boot of Stafford who winded up and powered a shot past Mia Edwards to tie the match right back up.

The scoring was just getting started as Trumbull’s Peyton Bashar would kick the ball on the corner kick and find the head of junior Maya Marin who watched as the ball rolled past the right of Fox putting the Eagles up 2-1 in the 60th minute.

Darien had let some time run off with the deficit. In the 77th minute of play, senior captain Colette Quinn would send a perfect through ball to Hannah Shaw who was met with Mia Edwards coming way out from the post and got a foot to the ball sending it to the wide open net, tying the game with three minutes to play.

Darien struck again with Colette Quinn getting a direct free kick way outside the box and Quinn would aerial a perfect ball of the hands off Edwards into the netting giving Darien the lead for the first time with two minutes to play.

All the Wave needed to do was go 120 seconds without giving up a goal. With 20 seconds left on the clock, Trumbull was down to their last attempt at ending in a draw. It was the junior Mackenzie Reid with the direct free kick just outside the box. Reid struck the ball on a direct line to the top left corner of the net, right through the hands of Fox, and to the back of the net. Reid had scored her second goal of the game on the hail mary last shot and tied the match at 3.

Darien and Trumbull would play the last 20 seconds but the final buzzer had resulted in the 3-3 draw. Last year when they met it was a similar back-and-forth affair that resulted in a 2-2 draw, a year later, same result, different score.

“Both teams fought to the very end,” Darien head coach Leigh Parsons said after the evenly matched teams battled for 80 minutes. Both Darien and Trumbull will go to 2-0-1 on the season and will both pick-up points on the FCIAC standings. The Blue Wave girl’s soccer team returns to the pitch on Saturday as they travel to Fairfield Ludlowe for a test against the Falcons.




TRUMBULL 0 3 — 3

DARIEN 0 3 — 3

Scoring: T – Mackenzie Reid (51′); D – Sadie Stafford (54′); T – Maya Marin (60′); D – Hannah Shaw (77′); D – Colette Quinn (78′); T – Mackenzie Reid (79′).

Goalkeepers: T – Mia Edwards 6 saves; D – Jillian Fox 16 saves.

Records: Trumbull 2-0-1; Darien 2-0-1