The Best Study Spots In/Near Darien

Focusing on work is something all high school students struggle with. Whether it’s writing an essay, practicing algebra, or studying for the dreaded midterms and finals, there is always something that keeps students from getting their work done. One of the best ways to focus is by getting out of the house and finding a new place to study. Here are three of the best places to study in Darien, and how they accommodate studying students.

3. Caffe Nero

Cafe Nero is a great place to get a warm drink, and it’s also a great place to study. Cafe Nero is open most days before school starts, so students can start their days productively by getting a drink on their way to school. It is also open late into the evening, making it easy to get work done after school. In the cafe, there is a diverse arrangement of seating: booths, tables with chairs, and a couch by a fireplace. These seating arrangements are also located by outlets so you don’t need to worry about your phone, calculator, or computer dying. Their hours can be viewed on their website.

2. Panera Bread

Panera is known for its great food, but did you know it’s also a great place to study? Although the Darien Panera is not an ideal study spot due to its location right off the highway, the Norwalk Panera is a great place to work if you’re willing to add a few extra minutes to your ride. There are many seating options, from full booths to individual tables, many of which have accessible outlets. In addition to Cafe Nero, Panera is also open late into the evening so students can get their studying done after clubs and sports, and you can grab dinner while you’re there. View their website for hours and to order food.

What's your favorite place to study?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

1. Darien Library

What makes the Darien Library a special place to work is its large amount of workspaces: more than Cafe Nero and Panera combined. The librarians are also willing to help you find anything you need, and students have access to a large array of books and resources. The Darien Library is open from late morning (early afternoon on Sundays) into the evening.

The top floor of the library is a study space fit with both large tables and smaller working stations, as well as outlets and personal lamps at many of the tables. There is usually a resource librarian on staff in this area, and there are countless books surrounding the seating areas for anything you might need.

Downstairs, the teen lounge is open for high school students to both complete work and hang out. There are computers for your use, whether that’s for work or playing a game during a break. If you need a break, you can also use one of their gaming consoles, play a board game, or read a book, and the teen services librarians are always great to talk to. There is one big table in the main portion of the teen lounge, as well as a side room off of the lounge that is usually available. Downstairs is restricted to teenagers so you don’t need to worry about distractions regarding children or adults.

Additionally, there are study rooms upstairs that can be reserved. Some of these are called “quiet rooms,” meaning no talking and your focus must be on studying. Others allow talking and cellphone use, and can be a great space to work as a group. To reserve a study room, head to their website.

Computers located in Darien Library's Teen Lounge.
Need a computer to work on? Want to take a break between study sessions? There are computers available for use in the Teen Lounge at the Darien Library. (Elise Shulman)

What did The Darien Library do for Students During Midterms?

This year, 2023, Darien High School students had their first normal(ish) midterms since pre-Covid. There were high levels of uncertainty regarding studying, but the Darien Library made it very easy for students to get their work completed.

The teen lounge remained open until 9 on weekends, rather than their usual 8, so that students could finish their studying without having to move to a different location.

On Sunday, January 8th, right before our first week of midterms, the library remained open for four hours past their normal closing time strictly for studying high school students. This program was called The Long Night Against Procrastination (LNAP) and over 130 students showed up. Pizza, snacks, fidgets, a yoga instructor, and a therapy dog were provided along with the usual resources.