The Student News Site of Darien High School

Neirad

Breaking News
  • April 23Juniors - Blue Wave Anchor Application due 4/26
  • March 31Sophmores - Sign up for the Practice ACT on 4/7
  • March 11Seniors - Internship applications due 3/18
  • March 11Grab some friends and attend the Spring Bonfire on 3/22!
  • January 17Check out scholarships - they're not just for seniors
  • December 4Read New Stories Below ‼‼
  • December 1Follow Student Government on Insta!! @dhs.studentgov

Neirad

Neirad

Poll

This poll has ended.

Would you buy coffee from the cafeteria if they sold it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“It’s a lifestyle, it’s a religion”: Gilmore Girls’ World Domination

Learn more about why “Gilmore Girls” continues to stand the test of time.
Instagram: @gilmoregirls
The beloved cast of “Gilmore Girls” poses in front of a scenic fall backdrop

Global warming continues to worsen. War rages overseas. Spotted lanternflies invade the U.S. A new Covid strain threatens the lives of millions. 

Time to turn on “Gilmore Girls.”

Since its debut on October 5, 2000, fans all over the world return year after year to rewatch this beloved show. Set in the charming fictional town of Stars Hollow, CT, “Gilmore Girls” follows the lives of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, a spunky mother and daughter duo, over the course of seven seasons and a 4-episode mini series made later in 2016. Lorelai had Rory when she was sixteen, meaning she is almost growing up with her daughter, and the two are portrayed more as friends rather than the tense mother-daughter relationship in most shows. Beneath the cheerful surface, “Gilmore Girls” portrays the trials and tribulations that come with growing up and finding your way in the world. Rory and Lorelai navigate the highs and lows of relationships, family drama, and college admissions (that’s right, even Rory knows the pain) to name a few.

The sun illuminates a blue sky in the charming fictional town of Stars Hollow, CT (NoelleandMike)

For many, the start of fall also means the commencement of their annual “Gilmore Girls” rewatch. Yet, what about this show continues to draw people in and maintain its cult following?

“Gilmore Girls” is an extremely fast-paced show. In ‘Why Gilmore Girls’ Endures written by Saul Austerlitz, Yanic Truesdale, who played the stubborn French receptionist Michel, explains that the actors had to “memorize scripts that were 20 pages longer than the average hourlong series.” Though the scripts are long, viewers never feel that an episode lingers on a topic for too long. Just when you think you know where a conversation is going, Lorelai will reference Willy Wonka and move the scene in an entirely different direction. In the same article, Jamie Babbit, who directed 18 Gilmore episodes describes the scenes as “‘ping-pong match[es].’” Regarding the writing of the show, Senior Mallory Sloan enthusiastically describes “I think that the shows writing is what I find most compelling about it. Amy Sherman-Palladino is an incredibly talented television writer. There are so many niche references in the show and all of the dialogue is insanely clever and quick. It’s almost hard to understand what they are saying but the difficulty to keep up with the fast pace makes it even more exciting.” In our world today everything must move at a fast pace. Part of the appeal of Tik-Tok and Instagram Reels is that they are typically only sixty seconds long. Some may argue that as generations have progressed, attention spans have become shorter. Being quite ahead of its time, “Gilmore Girls” caters to these short attention spans, and keeps viewers hooked scene after scene.

Rory and Lorelai shake hands with renowned journalist Christiane Amanpour in the series finale (atomtetsuwan2002)

A detail that may go unnoticed in “Gilmore Girls” is the lack of technology. Characters do not have cell-phones, and there is minimal talk of using the internet. Additionally, until Taylor installs them in later seasons, the town of Stars Hollow does not even contain traffic lights. Though our world today is consumed with electronics, people clearly still yearn for simpler times. Rory had plenty of social interaction, but she did not need social media to help facilitate and strengthen her bonds. If she needed to talk to her mom during her time at Yale, she could use her flip phone. When asked about why she annually rewatches “Gilmore Girls,”, Junior Lucy Best states “Partly the nostalgia factor because it was such a simpler time without social media.”

Above all else, “Gilmore Girls” has some of the most lovable characters in Hollywood. From Kirk, the fix-it man for just about everything, to Miss Patty, the resident dance teacher and town gossip, you can’t help but feel comforted by their crazy antics. Additionally, you may find yourself relating each character in the show to someone in your own life. We all have that one restaurant or coffee shop worker that knows your name and order similar to how Lorelai has Luke at Luke’s Diner. Or maybe you are lucky enough to have a zany best friend like Sookie in your life. The heated feud in the “Gilmore Girls” fandom must also not go without noting. Fans are passionately split between which guy they believe was best suited for Rory: Jess, Dean, or Logan. Assorted merchandise has been made in support of each of the teams.

So the next time the stress of the world starts to get to you, consider immersing yourself in the quaint town of Stars Hollow. Lorelai and Rory are waiting for you with open arms.

To read more from Austerlitz’s article click here.