The Student News Site of Darien High School

Neirad

Breaking News
  • April 23Juniors - Blue Wave Anchor Application due 4/26
  • March 31Sophmores - Sign up for the Practice ACT on 4/7
  • March 11Seniors - Internship applications due 3/18
  • March 11Grab some friends and attend the Spring Bonfire on 3/22!
  • January 17Check out scholarships - they're not just for seniors
  • December 4Read New Stories Below ‼‼
  • December 1Follow Student Government on Insta!! @dhs.studentgov

Neirad

Neirad

The mural painting class is available to juniors and seniors who have taken Drawing and Painting 3 and received teacher approval. Before painting the mural students must get the design and location approved with administration.
Music Notes, Statues and a Cow?
Katie Galligan, Journalist • April 14, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Would you buy coffee from the cafeteria if they sold it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Bad Sisters Shows How Deep Sisterly Bonds Go

A review and recommendation of the 2023 Emmy nominated series

As someone who has a sister, I’d be one of the first to understand the rollercoaster relationship. Most of the time it’s annoying to have a little sister. But, there are those moments when I need her to have my back and I’ll have hers. Bad Sisters on AppleTV embodies the chaos-filled and fond relationship of sisters; with some murder in the mix.

I had just wrapped up watching Severance on AppleTV for the third time when I began to scroll through the Emmy nominee category. Surprisingly, I had never heard of Bad Sisters and was extremely intrigued. Any show that has a hint of secrecy is an automatic must-watch for me. The idea that there were 5 sisters was a bonus.

To my delight, this show was everything I wanted and more.

Bad Sisters focuses on the Garvey sisters: Eva, Grace, Ursula, Bibi, and Becka as they navigate through Grace’s husband, John Paul’s death.

Warning, spoilers ahead.

Eva, Grace, Ursula, Bibi, and Becka are all incredibly close. When their parents died Eva took care of all of her sisters and raised them by herself taking on a big responsibility. While all the Garvey sisters are “good eggs” Grace, possibly the nicest human ever, falls in love with John Paul whom I would classify as “the worst egg”. The sisters never liked John Paul from the start but they begin to realize that he’s slowly, but surely tearing Grace apart. Whether it’s little comments or physical movements, the Garvey girls know that something is up. Grace has lost her identity, confidence, and smile to John Paul. The sisters have only one choice. In order to save their sister and niece they must take him out of their lives once and for all.

Intriguing right?

Starting off with positives, I have to applaud both the writers and actors for writing incredible characters. Every decision, laugh, tear and even eye roll is incredibly on point. Our lead actresses feel like sisters not women playing a part. It all feels natural and realistic as if viewers are just a fly on the wall watching the show happen in real time.

Claes Bang and Anne-Marie Duff as the unstable couple John Paul and Grace Garvey in Bad Sisters
Photo Credit: Apple TV

Each sister is not only unique but lovable in their own way. My personal favorite character was Becka Garvey, the youngest sister. Not only is Becka a badass by having her own business but she’s incredibly funny. Humor is very important in these kinds of shows and it shined through with Becka.  I think it’s safe to say that viewers will find bits of themselves in each one of the Garvey sisters, for me it was Becka.

I can also appreciate that the writers made sure no one would feel bad for John Paul. Within the first ten minutes of the show, I understood why the Garvey sisters referred to him as “the prick”. He’s without a doubt the most unlikeable character, I’d almost go as far as to say that he’s a truly evil man. This character was so terrible in every way that I found myself begging for him to die.

In my defense, John Paul was a cat killer, abuser, and murderer…..

Shoutout to Claes Bang who plays John Paul for emboding a wicked human so perfectly.

The cinematography of Bad Sisters is wonderful. The show bounces back between the present and past six months leading up to John Paul’s death. Each flashback is set up like a film roll with every time rewinding which I got a kick out of.  Each sister gets their own episode showing their own personal motive for wanting John Paul dead. Which, as it turns out the Garvey sisters have plenty of reasons to want him dead.

I don’t have any negatives to say about the show (yet). While doing some research I discovered that Bad Sisters has been renewed for a season 2 after previously being a limited series. I have to express my disappointment as I felt the ten episodes wrapped the story up. Nothing was left up to question by the end of the show, which makes me wonder what the plan is for season 2. I’d hate to watch season 2 and see everything that was perfectly crafted fall apart.

It’s best not to ruin a perfect thing.

I encourage you to watch Bad Sisters if you’re looking for something new and refreshing with mystery and humor.