Wordle: The Game Everyone is Obsessed With

What the heck is going on in this word game?!

Julia Blake, Sports Editor

The rules are simple. You get six chances to guess a five letter word. Each round it reveals any correct letters that you guessed and if they were in the right spot. Sounds easy, right? Well, the truth is its not. Whether you are a high school student or a regular person in this world with an electronic device, you have probably come across this new game.

Here is a classic example of the word puzzle. (The New York Times)

Wordle was initially released in October of 2021, but it really gained attention averaging over a 300,000 players a day in 2022. It is so popular that The New York Times bought the rights to the game and has taken complete control over it.

I think that this seemingly simple word game has gained so much traction and players that continue to play is because of its appeal to all ages. While most days the word is easy to get to, other times it really has us all tricked. For instance, some past wordle’s have included rebus, rupee, banal, query and many more tricky word.

The game is super satisfying and can help stimulate your brain early in the morning. Here’s the catch, everyone has the same word. So, if you plan on playing the wordle make sure you play before coming to school. It got to a point where if you didn’t, it was inevitable that it would be spoiled at some point in the day.

The Wordle is no joke! Some teachers are feed up with this distraction. This message was on the door of a Spanish classroom. (Neirad Staff)

I have been playing ever since December, and I would like to say that I have acquired some skill in the game. One of the biggest things that can make or break your chances of winning in the least turns possible is your starting word. Make sure that it has multiple vowels and avoid words that have little used letters like z,x,v, etc. because they usually are not helpful. Last tip would be to not rush and not be afraid to try something, because you never know, it might be right!

If you finish the day’s wordle and want more, check out wordle archive, a collection of all the past wordles for you to play. Other versions of this game that have been created are worldle, a game that follows similar rules to wordle except you are guessing a country. There are even wordle’s in other languages too.

Wordle is a free game that is super fun and easy to play. If you haven’t tried it yet, I would highly recommend checking it out. You might have a talent at this word guesser game you have never discovered!

Do you play Wordle?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.