The Student News Site of Darien High School

Neirad

Breaking News
  • April 23Juniors - Blue Wave Anchor Application due 4/26
  • March 31Sophmores - Sign up for the Practice ACT on 4/7
  • March 11Seniors - Internship applications due 3/18
  • March 11Grab some friends and attend the Spring Bonfire on 3/22!
  • January 17Check out scholarships - they're not just for seniors
  • December 4Read New Stories Below ‼‼
  • December 1Follow Student Government on Insta!! @dhs.studentgov

Neirad

Neirad

The mural painting class is available to juniors and seniors who have taken Drawing and Painting 3 and received teacher approval. Before painting the mural students must get the design and location approved with administration.
Music Notes, Statues and a Cow?
Katie Galligan, Journalist • April 14, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Would you buy coffee from the cafeteria if they sold it?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Darien Field Hockey goes 2-0 after Weather Delay Win

Katharine Calderwood
Darien Field Hockey player Katie Savino during a matchup against Danbury last season.

The Darien field hockey team keeps the ball rolling in 2023. After going undefeated in 2022 and starting the season at 2-0, Darien field hockey is on a 25 game win streak.

The team started the year off strong with a shutout win over the Fairfield Ludlowe Falcons 10-0 on 9/7. Field hockey continues its dominance with strong offensive players applying pressure, and key defensive players that have added to the team’s strength.

On 9/11, the Blue Wave faced FCIAC rivals, the Greenwich Cardinals in their home opener. The Blue Wave started off early applying high offensive pressure to the Cardinals’ defense. Darien used their opportunity on offense early in the first quarter and senior captain Ashley Stockdale shot the ball top shelf above Greenwich goaltender Kelly Janssen. This high offensive pressure was a trend throughout the game for Darien, and it helped them overcome the cardinals offensive powers.

Again in the first quarter, Stockdale took a shot on net and Cornell-bound senior Blake Wilks tipped it in for the second goal of the game. This goal let Greenwich know that Darien was not being stopped and that something needed to change going into the second quarter of play.

During the second quarter, both offenses were kept at bay. Greenwich had some opportunities, but couldn’t get around the high powered Darien defense. Darien, on the other hand, had plenty of shots on net, but all of them went wide of the net.

Both teams again were holding off the offenses starting the second half, and the game would continue until about halfway through the third quarter. The game would be put on pause due to thunder and lightning in the area and both teams vacated the field into indoors.

After about a 40 minute delay, it was deemed not safe to continue the game due to thunderstorms in the surrounding area. Darien was credited with the win and keep their win streak alive.

The Blue Wave will take on DHS arch-rival the New Canaan Rams on Thursday September 14th at 6:30 at the DHS stadium field while the Greenwich Cardinals will be back home taking on the Norwalk Bears on Thursday as well at 4:30.

DARIEN 2,

GREENWICH 0

DARIEN 2 0 0 — 2

GREENWICH 0 0 0 — 0

Scoring: D – Ashley Stockdale, Blake Wilks

Records: Darien 2-0; Greenwich 1-1