A True Team “Player:” Katie Keating Inspires Both On and Off-Stage

A look into Theater 308’s production of “Newsies” through the eyes of a DHS senior

Theatre 308

Katie Keating is senior at Darien High School and is a valuable member of the art, academic and local communities.

On the weekend of March 17th, she took her final bow in the Darien High School auditorium after singing, leaping, and tapping tirelessly across the stage for Theatre 308’s exhilarating performance of “Newsies.” 

An artist, performer, and leader, Senior Katie Keating is an extraordinary example of an active student at DHS, giving her all to the Darien community both in and outside of school. 

Katie has been a lifelong dancer and performer. She started Irish dancing in kindergarten, competing internationally and performing all around Fairfield County. Her theater career kicked off in sixth grade when she auditioned for Middlesex Middle School’s spring production of “The Lion King.” Additionally, Keating plays the bass clarinet and alto saxophone, and is a core member of the music program at DHS, as both the Drum Major for the band and an engaged member of the Jazz Ensemble. 

When she was younger, Keating wasn’t overly outgoing and had a tendency to shy away from the spotlight, however, she noted that having dance and “308” has put her in front of more people. “It’s helped me be way more outgoing and just more comfortable in front of people,” Keating said. She noted how her family and friends were surprised to see her get up in front of numerous judges for Irish dance competitions, or perform musical numbers after being known to be more introverted when she was younger.

Theatre 308 had a successful 4-show run of Disney’s “Newsies,” a Broadway musical based on the real-life Newsboy Strike of 1899, on March 16th, 17th, and 18th (Theatre 308)

Keating’s love for theater grew when she joined Theatre 308 (the theater program and club at DHS) in her Sophomore year, performing as a featured dancer in “Something Rotten,” which was the club’s first production coming out of quarantine. “It was really nice because theater was one of the first things that came back for me,” said Keating. “To be able to devote a lot of time and bring theater back to Darien was a really exciting experience to be a part of.” 

Keating has harnessed her many artistic talents to the fullest extent over the past few years in musical theater. A devoted singer, dancer, and actor, she grew increasingly involved with Theatre 308 through her role as Parent Liaison and feature dancer in “The Addams Family” her junior year—which, along with this year’s production of “Newsies,” was one of her favorite shows. Keating says the dancing in the past two musicals (Addams Family and Newsies) has been a highlight for her, being one of her specialties and favorite parts of a show. Newsies was also incredibly personal to Keating because of her love for the show: “I’ve seen Newsies like a hundred times, and it’s definitely my favorite Broadway show, so to be the ones finally onstage performing it is unlike anything else.” 

This spring she played “Splasher” (a key member of the “Manhattan Newsies”), on top of her role as one of the dance captains, in which she was responsible for learning and coaching all of the choreography. Director Mr. Tim Sorensen noted that “[he] relied on her (as well as [the] other dance captain, Katie Koslow) throughout the process to run rehearsals and workshop various numbers.” Their talent, “energy, and ability to teach have been tremendous assets to our production,” he said.

Darien High School students worked diligently this winter and spring, tackling exhilarating new choreography (Tim Sorensen)

If you weren’t able to see it the weekend of March 17th, anyone is sure to tell you that “Newsies” came together remarkably well; the tireless hours spent after school by cast members had paid off.

“Newsies” is dance-heavy and notorious for its intricate, fast-moving choreography. Such entails a large cast that must execute jumps, turns, and other acrobatic and tap elements in unison, all while singing and maintaining high energy levels while they make multiple, simultaneous passes across the stage. “There are so many moving parts in ‘Carrying the Banner,’” said Keating. “I don’t think you could watch it ten times and not see something new. I think it’s really cool because there’s so much going on.”

Keating said this near-Broadway level dancing was one of the cast’s largest challenges in Newsies, however, the numerous five to seven-minute numbers gradually came together with the help of Keating’s leadership and the cast’s hard work.

“It’s definitely like a team; everyone needs to contribute their own little part to in order to put on this whole big grand show. I definitely get nervous seeing all those pieces come together, and they always do (come together), but it’s always a little nerve-wracking seeing how many pieces need to get moving.” – Senior Katie Keating

Keating described Newsies as a completely different “beast,” than any other show she’s been a part of because of the dancing, yet seeing the show go from a few songs and phrases of choreography to a full run-through was her favorite and most rewarding part of the rehearsal process. And while she had been nervous about her own contributions to the show, such as making sure her technique and dancing were correct, she adored her role as part of the “main Newsie crew” and being able to dance consistently throughout the two acts. 

Seniors Sam Baiocco, Ava Faugno, Luke Ryan, Katie Keating, and Sophie Curtis closed out their Theatre 308 musical careers with “Newsies” in March (Katie Keating)

There are very few people that can demonstrate exceptional leadership while also embracing the role of acting a team player. Keating has a tremendous aptitude for leading others, whether it be in academics, dance, theater, or student life and the community. She is an admirable classmate who not only demonstrates leadership through her roles as dance captain or the Secretary for the National Honors Society, but also works constantly to collaborate with her peers in a team setting. In addition, Keating discussed how the cast dynamic was very different for “Newsies” this March because of the larger ensemble and fewer “principal roles.” “Something that’s fun about being one of the newsies is we all get to play off one another. We have a lot of fun on stage together and it’s just hanging out with my friends onstage. And while we are acting and supposed to be a big group of friends, that’s exactly what we are as a cast,” said Keating.

Keating embraces her duties as dance captain and is constantly willing to lend a hand to anyone. Partaking in theater can seem extremely daunting to some: not everyone has the courage to tackle the unfamiliar territory of singing and dancing in front of classmates or competing for lead roles. However, every member of “308” I’ve talked to has promoted the club, praising its welcoming environment, and Keating is a shining representation of the compassion found in “308.” Keating’s close friend, senior Sam Baiocco spoke highly of her dedication to her position as dance captain: “Something I admire about Katie is her dedication to creation. She fully believes in the potential of every single dancer on the stage, and she wants everyone to be able to showcase their talents. She’s always the first to help if someone needs it, which is why she’s an amazing dance captain.” Not only was Keating’s role as dance captain well deserved because of her theater experience but her willingness to reach out to anyone with a smile on her face in both rehearsal and school.

As a person and a student, Katie is one of the most kind, hard-working, and dedicated people I’ve ever met. I actually met Katie when I taught her in 8th grade, and those three traits have never wavered in her. She brings a love for theater to our group that is truly special, and I think others gravitate to her energy.” – Mr. Sorensen

Keating’s dedication to theater and her other activities have a profound impact on those around her; she is a determined person who will constantly put in the work “until [she] gets the results [she wants],” and continues to set high goals for herself. Theater has given her a more outgoing personality as well, which Keating is able to utilize in other aspects of her life. Whether she’s giving presentations in class, speaking to large crowds, or dancing in front of a panel of judges, as Baiocco commented, Keating puts “one hundred percent of her being into everything she does”.