Q&A: All About Post 53

Two Post 53 members answer popular questions about what it’s like to be a member of the only student ambulance corps in the United States.

“Posties”, as they are affectionately called, are a crew of DHS student volunteers who provide their community with comprehensive emergency medical assistance.

Staff

When it comes to Post 53, there are a lot of frequently asked questions. I had the opportunity to interview two Post members, juniors Chelsea Donovan and Gretchen Edwards. Donovan and Edwards are both certified Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs).

Here’s what they had to say:

1. What is the most common type of call that you receive?
    1. Donovan: The most common call that I have gotten on duty is lift assist, which is when an older person falls and needs help getting back up.
  2.  Have you ever felt unprepared upon arriving to the scene of a call?
    1. Edwards: I have never really felt unprepared on a call. Our training is very intense and is some of the best in the area, so we have learned what to do in almost every circumstance. Although it is hard to prepare for every possible situation, we can always help the person in distress in some type of way.

Edwards giving a thumbs up as she is doing well in her EMT training.
  3. How fast can you get to a scene?
    1. Donovan: It depends on the type of call and how urgent it is. If it is a normal travel call, we typically get there in under 10 minutes. If the call is a lights and siren response (a true emergency), we usually get there within a few minutes.
  4. Have you ever pulled an all-nighter because of your duties at Post 53?
    1. Edwards: Yes, I have had to go to school several times without sleep. It usually happens during night shifts when I have to sleep at the Post 53 headquarters. It is hard to get a good night’s sleep there because you never really get used to it, and also because you often get calls during the night. Sometimes, I have even received multiple calls a night, making it hard for me to sleep at all!
  5. What do you enjoy most about Post 53?
    1. Edwards: Since we are on duty a lot, we are constantly surrounded by our co-workers, allowing me to make many great friendships. This really gives Post a family aspect, making it feel like home away from home.
    2. Donovan: Post 53 has been a life changing experience for me, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. It has not only provided me with much experience and expertise when it comes to being an EMS, but it has also given me lifelong friendships and memories that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

Donovan and Edwards accompanied by several other Posties after a day of hard work at their EMS training.
  6. Do you think your level of expertise is comparable/similar to those of a real EMS?
    1. Edwards: Yes, I believe that our expertise is comparable to a professional EMS. For us to become a Basic EMT, we have to go through approximately 140 hours of training over a six-month period and have to cycle through ambulance rotations with the Stamford and Norwalk EMS. Additionally, we must pass the state practical and written exam in order to receive official certification. This rigorous and hardcore training allows us to advance and develops our skills to be the same or even better than those of a professional since they have to go through the same training and testing that we do.

Donovan learning how to be an EMT from the professionals during her training.
  7. Has Post 53 ever been acknowledged for their work?
    1. Donovan: Yes, back in October, Post 53 received the 2021 Volunteer EMS Service of the Year at the EMS World Expo Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. We received this award from EMS World and the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians. Additionally, Post 53 is the only high school student driven BLS ambulance corps in the United States.
  8. Is it stressful leaving class when a call comes in during the school day?
    1. Edwards: The first few times I had to leave in the middle of a class because of a call was stressful. But all of us Posties went into this knowing we would have to make sacrifices and leaving school in the middle of the day is minor compared to other things we have to face throughout our time in Post 53.

Edwards accompanied by her siblings, Lucie and Hayden, who are alumni of both DHS and Post 53.
  9.  How do you balance everything (social life, school, family, Post 53)?
    1. Donovan: It was hard to balance everything at first, but after learning how to manage my time in an efficient way, it became easier. After being in Post 53 for a few years now, I have been able to fall into a routine that gives me time to do both.
  10. What are the different roles within Post 53?
    1. Donovan: After becoming a full member of Post 53, there are four main roles to be a part of. The first role is being a “Radio Roomie.” The people of this role are responsible for all communication at Post 53 which includes recording the times of ambulance calls, answering the phone, and responding to the calls from the Darien Police. The next role is being a “Rider.” Riders help the EMS on the ambulance calls by predicting and assembling the equipment needed for the call and occasionally helping with the care when needed. The third possible role is an Emergency Medical Technician (Basic EMT). An EMT deals with all basic patient care and the communications with the hospital. The last possible role is being a Driver. Drivers get the ambulance to the scene of the call and to the hospital safely and timely, abiding by the rules of the road at all times.

These ordinary teenagers volunteer to dedicate hours upon hours of their time to help save lives 24/7, 365 days a year.

After learning about the experiences of two current Post members, do you wish you joined Post 53?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.