One of the “AP Art Kids”

You’ve probably seen students carry a huge painting board either going to or coming from school. In that case, you might’ve even seen me lugging that thing out of my car in the freezing mornings. Welcome to the life of an AP Art student.

AP Art is just like any other AP course. There’s a lot of work to be done both during class as well as working outside of the classroom. It’s not uncommon for a student to stay up all hours of the night finishing a piece that’s due the next day. I can say that with confidence because I’ve done that before (…multiple times). I, along with others in the class, spend a lot of our free periods in the art room. That being said, AP Art students are some of the most hardworking people you’ll meet, comparable to student athletes.

To those who are not familiar with how the class works, there are mainly two parts that make up the portfolio that is sent to graders for the AP exam: breadth and concentration (students also have to send in five physical works that “best exhibit your synthesis of 2-D form, technique, and content”). According to an overview of the course on the CollegeBoard site, breadth is made of twelve pieces “demonstrating understanding of 2-D design.” Basically, graders want to see artists use a variety of materials and subject matters to show how versatile those students are. These pieces can be from anytime during high school art classes or even outside of school.

And then the scary part: concentration. CollegeBoard defines concentration as twelve “works demonstrating in-depth exploration of a particular 2-D design concern.” That basically means that you have to choose an idea that can be explored in twelve different pieces, showing growth throughout.

My friend Alex Adelman described her process for choosing her concentration: “I worked off a project that I already liked. I had a few ideas but this one really stuck out to me.” 

Another classmate Christina Canora had a similar experience: “I looked through student work in years past. There was one project from last year that I liked and I used as a jumping off point.”

My friend Olivia Belknap simply stated, “I like peacocks so I decided to paint them for my concentration.” Sometimes it really can be that easy. But not for everyone.

As for me, ideas will pop into my head at the most random times (like trying to pay attention in French class). I write my ideas down in the notes section of my phone as soon as I can. There’s also a bunch of student artwork online and on the CollegeBoard site. Looking at other students’ work is both inspirational and jealousy-inducing. It really challenges you to think of common concepts in new and creative ways. I started out knowing that I wanted to either do portraits or still-lifes. I brainstormed a very long list and narrowed it down to three ideas. I discussed those three ideas with Mrs. Sammis to get a better understanding of where I will go with each of them. I’m still trying to decide between two ideas, but hopefully I’ll choose before this article is published!  

Although this is a work-heavy course, I look forward to AP Art everyday and it’s probably my favorite class. For 48 minutes a day, I get to hang out with my friends, listen to music, and make great art. It provides a much needed mental break between all of my academic classes like physics or AP Lit. The F Wing in general is very chill and it’s a relaxing place to spend a big chunk of my day.   

If you’ve ever walked into any of the art classrooms at DHS, you know that it has a very different feel compared to any other classroom. Music is always playing since there’s an aux cord on the far side of the room. There’s a constant chatter, whether it’s about random things or actually asking/receiving feedback on our pieces. The rare times the room is totally silent is when deadlines are coming up quick and everyone’s on a time crunch. But overall, the classroom itself has a very laid-back vibe.  

Being in this class really does feel like being a part of a big family (however cheesy that may sound). My classmates and I  have been in art classes together since freshman year, while most of us have had Mrs. Sammis all four years. Having an established relationship with a teacher allows you to be more comfortable and honest with each other. Mrs. Sammis is more like a mentor and friend now rather than a teacher since I’ve been in her classes since freshman year.  

So by now students who don’t take this course should have a pretty good understanding of what it’s like to be an “AP Art kid” and how hard we work both inside and outside the classroom. I hope there’s a greater appreciation for the students who choose to take this challenging and extensive class.  

Neirad • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in