Required Reading: Is it Necessary?

Summer is Upon Us - That Means Time to Read . . . Beyond Assigned Summer Reading, There Are a lot of Great Resources to Find That Perfect Book

Required reading at DHS is often seen as a last-ditch effort to get kids to read. So why does it stop students from enjoying books?

At all high schools, reading is required by many if not all English classes. Many students are assigned books to read, but they don’t like that they have to read them. “I feel that kids really don’t  like doing work but it’s a necessary evil” said Alex Sutanto. It’s true that some of the books that are a part of the curriculum aren’t that great (cough, cough The Privileges) but most of the books taught in English classes at DHS are classics or well-known books. Unfortunately, some students feel that required reading has ruined their interest in reading. Books that have been heralded as classics seem underwhelming or disappointing. “Great Gatsby is the most overrated novel I’ve ever read” said Mr. Cummings. While it is true that reading halfway through a book and then writing an essay about it isn’t enjoyable, but it can help you to understand the meaning and purpose of the book. 

I feel that kids really don’t  like doing work but it’s a necessary evil

— Alex Sutanto, Freshman

In today’s world, it’s no secret that interest in reading is dwindling. Phones and computers take up more of our time and there are TV shows and movies that have become more accessible with streaming. With all this entertainment on our devices, books are left out of the equation. It’s easier to whip out your phone while you’re waiting in a doctor’s office than to get a book or a magazine. They don’t always fit in your pocket. I’m sure you heard this millions of times before, but reading a physical book is so much better for you than scanning a screen.

I was a huge reader in elementary and middle school. I used to take out so many books from my middle school library. When I got to high school, that stopped. It took me a while to get back into books again and rekindle my love of reading. If you’re in the same spot, here’s some tips to get back into the world of literature.

One of the best tools out there to track books that you read and find new ones

1.  Sign up for a Goodreads account- Goodreads is an app/website that tracks books that you are reading, books you have read, and books that you want to read in digital “shelves”. You can also make up your own shelves. Goodreads lets you pick your favorite genres and will give you recommendations if you rate 20 books. The website might recommend some good titles to read!

2. Go to the library- Sounds like a lot of hoopla, but the library is great place to start reading again. The Darien Library has shelves in the main lobby with recommended books that librarians have read. Not only does the library have books, they have audiobooks, movies, e-books, and much more.

3. Join a book club- Book clubs are social and a good start point for getting back into reading. Book clubs will often set a deadline, so you’ll have to read in order to discuss the book with other people in the group.

You and your friends could start a book club!

4.  Reading a series of books- A series of books will have an ongoing story that keeps the reader on their toes. Start small. Pick a series that is not well-known and start reading. I suggest the Series of Unfortunate Events. There is clever writing, strong characters, and crazy evil plots in this series and it has a Netflix series and a movie. A good series of books makes you root for the characters and keep you anticipating about what will happen to the characters.

Neirad • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in