Good+Friday%3F

Good Friday?

Why do we have no school on Friday, March 30th?

When school is canceled for a religious holiday, it is rare to find a student who fully understands why and for what holiday there is no school. This year, Good Friday falls on March 30th, and students get to enjoy a three-day weekend before Easter. When discussing this with my friends, it became clear that few students truly understand the holiday and simply care that they have a long weekend.  “I know that we have the Friday off before Easter, but I have no idea why. I’m just glad we have a day off,” a senior girl said at lunch. In this article, I’m going to give you a quick rundown on what Good Friday is.

I know that we have the Friday off before Easter, but I have no idea why. I’m just glad we have a day off.

— Overheard in the caf

Good Friday is the Friday before Easter. It is when Christians commemorate the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ – when he willingly suffered and died for mankind’s sins. Good Friday is not an official holiday in the United States; most public services and work will continue according to their normal schedule in most areas. However, many businesses, colleges/universities and public schools are closed on Good Friday. In Connecticut Good Friday is designated by the governor as a holiday. Many people travel to be with family for Easter and the three days allows for that as well.

When I asked people at Darien High School, almost no one knew what Good Friday really was. I got answers like “I don’t know, the only thing I know is that is has something to do with Jesus.” And “I know that we have a day off and that it is before Easter,” was said by two senior boys who were sitting in the caf during a free period

As far as how DHS celebrates the holiday: students don’t have to go to school, so most DHS students take advantage of this to do something fun: “I think I’m going to hang out with my friends,” senior Olivia Taylor said. “I am not doing anything special on Good Friday; I might go to church on Easter,” senior Carly Rutledge added. Many other students and staff will celebrate on Sunday with a big family dinner.

Neirad • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in