Spring Break Hotspots 2023

Most at DHS can’t wait for our infamous spring break coming up in April, but sadly for all those who play a spring sport, it will be just another week in Darien. For those taking a trip, there are many popular options for students here at DHS ranging in distance. Whether or not you get out of dodge, it will certainly be nice to get a break from all of the schoolwork! Let’s take a look at the top five spring break hotspots this year:

1. Miami, Florida

Miami, Florida is one of the most visited places in the US for spring break. With temperatures already surpassing 80°, it is one of the warmest states in mid-April, making it one of the hottest states for travel at this time of year. With many activities such as surfing, tanning, boating, parasailing, water skiing, snorkeling, jetskiing, etc., it is guaranteed that visitors will never get bored. In addition to visiting families, Miami is a popular place for college students to go on Spring Break. Currently, the coastline is flooded by thousands of college students enjoying their vitamin “sea.” These trips are also not cheap, especially for college students who are already drowning in student loan debt. According to The Clarion, 20% of college students on spring break had to take out yet another loan to finance their extravagant spring break trip. So, although Miami may be a very fun choice for break, it certainly is not the cheapest. 

Miami, Florida flooded with students on spring break on March 23, 2023 (Getty Images).

2. Cancún, Mexico

Cancún, Mexico is yet another very popular spring break destination. With several famous, luxurious resorts such as the Le Blanc Spa Resort, Secrets Playa Resort, The JW Marriott, etc., there is a deluxe place for all to stay. Additionally, with numerous all-inclusive aspects offered, such as several pools and hot tubs, poolside service, golf courses, restaurants, access to the beach, etc., there is always something for everyone. Similar to Miami, Cancún is also a very popular destination for college students to spend their spring break as the warm temperatures and beautiful scenery make for a spring break dream. 

Cancun, Mexico’s coastline.

3. Bahamas

The Bahamas are quite consistent when it comes to where students and families spend their spring breaks. With breathtaking beaches and dependable warm weather, two aspects that define spring break, it is a constant hotspot of attraction. After just a quick three-hour flight, students from Darien could arrive in the Bahamas making it a very easily accessible destination. Not only is the Bahamas popular for its famous turquoise water, but its swimming with the pigs of Exuma, scuba diving and snorkeling in some of clearest water on the planet, pink sand beaches, fishing, pirate forts, cave diving, and extravagant lighthouses are also some of its main attractions. Due to its reachable proximity, dependent temperatures, and an infinite number of activities, the Bahamas checks all the boxes on an ideal spring break checklist. 

The Pigs of Exuma: a famous group of pigs in the Bahamas that tourists can swim with.

4. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic is a very popular site for spring break. Due to its temperatures, unique culture, white sand, and transparent water, many enjoy spending time outdoors in Punta Cana. Our very own DHS senior class went on break this past February together in La Romana, Dominican Republic, a city not far from the popular Punta Cana. Many seniors that I have talked to about this trip have said that they greatly enjoyed the weather and being able to relax on the beautiful beaches with friends. The seniors reported having loved their stay in the Casa de Campo Resort & Villas, a resort very similar to those in Punta Cana such as the Majestic Mirage. Though they were not directly in Punta Cana, the two cities closely resemble each other and the seniors said that if given the opportunity, they would love to visit Punta Cana this break just like other students throughout the country.

Casa de Campo: the resort where the DHS senior class stayed in the Dominican Republic.

5. Turks and Caicos

Turks and Caicos has been a fan favorite destination for years for many DHS students. The most famous aspects of Turks and Caicos are its white beaches, turquoise waters, exceptional snorkeling and scuba diving sights, and its large variety of coral and marine life. Turks and Caicos is also known to have one of the safest beaches in the world; coral islands made of coral reefs surround the island and have been growing for centuries, keeping people safe when swimming and engaging in water activities such as horseback riding, paddleboarding, kiteboarding, wakeboarding, and kayaking – all very popular attractions that we really don’t have the opportunity to do here in Darien. Turks and Caicos is also a very family-friendly location as it is very close to the US making it quick and painless to get to, has numerous resorts that are altered to a family’s specific liking, and visitors have said that they always feel safe when visiting even with little kids. 

Horseback riding both in and out of the water in Turks and Caicos

Overall, it seems as though the most popular destinations for spring break are places with warmer weather where people can escape not only school and homework but also the cold. Whether it’s a location known for its beaches and clear water or for its swimming with exotic pigs, any location you pick for spring break will be amazing! 

Out of these five places, which would be your ideal location for spring break?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.