Absence Makes the Heart (and Stomach) Grow Fonder: DHS Cafeteria Nostalgia

Do they stay or do they go? WIth off-campus lunch options available to seniors, is it cafeteria options that encourage them to leave?

Saoirse Wellenius, Contributor

Before quarantine, one of the student body’s favorite things at Darien High School was the food. When students came back to school in the fall of 2020, DHS had a hybrid schedule and boxed lunches were delivered to students in classrooms. Because of that, it was hard to tell whether or not there was a decline in the quality of lunch.

The conversation about the old vs. new menu really began after last year’s student election. When running for student government last year, many candidates stated in their speeches that, if elected, they would make a change in the cafeteria. Several mentioned, specifically, the cookies.

Personally, I have not noticed any notable changes, and according to some other members of the student body, they haven’t either. 

I recently talked to senior Maggie Crotty about her cafeteria experiences as of late; here is what she had to say: “Honestly when I came in as a freshman there were so many more options every day. We got a lot of grilled cheese days, and the tenders and fries were pretty good, if I remember correctly. I’ve never been one for the hot meals option so I wouldn’t know anything about that area.” I then asked if she had any ideas for reform and Maggie stated, “I don’t know! I think people just want more variety.”

Extra seasoning, please!

I took a look around the cafeteria after this conversation to refresh myself on the lunch options. I found a lot of options but not a lot of people choosing them.

The sandwich section was packed, as usual. In line, senior Khristos Yika said, “A BLT is my go to!”

Another senior, Sarah Jackson,  agreed from further back in the line.

I turned only slightly to the right and noticed that the hot meal line had no takers, and an almost equally empty line surrounded the fries and nuggets. Senior Kiera O’Brian told me she thinks this is probably due to the way those options are presented, wrapped up and under the lights.

I couldn’t help but think about how my brother who attends Middlesex Middle School says that his lunch is amazing. “Kids get excited to enter the caf” he notes, “I have never been jealous that you get to leave for lunch, why would I want to leave? We have fine food at school.”

DHS leadership is constantly encouraging seniors to stay in the cafeteria for lunch, rather than exercise their option of leaving if they have an open period. This interview with my brother poses the question, if we had better food at school, would people be more inclined to dine in the Caf?