“Do It Yourself”: The Newest Gem of the Tech ED Dept.

When you walk through the depths of the basement floor of the F wing, you will discover a plethora of different classes. From architecture to woodworking, the Tech Ed department at DHS offers a wide array of different classes for each hands-on student to try. The newest addition, currently in its first semester being offered at DHS, offers a different approach to learning about technology and engineering than the traditional courses usually offered.

Neirad got the low-down from a few of the students currently enrolled in the class as well as tech-ed teacher Mr. Gregory Darin, to learn more about the new “Do It Yourself” class.

Upon first glance into the classroom, you will notice a variety of different tools, wires, and appliances spread throughout the spacious room. From lights to wooden fixtures, it isn’t extremely apparent what the students are “doing themselves.”

This class is for anyone who lives in a home or drives a car

— Mr. Darin, Tech-Ed Teacher

“We cover topics of basic auto maintenance including oil changes, checking fluids, tire rotations, brakes and whatever other minor problems that might come our way. We also cover home electrical and wiring repairs, basic plumbing which will include changing faucets, sinks, toilets, and appliances as well as fixing drainage and supply line issues. We will also cover sheet rock repairs including hanging things on the walls like towel racks, picture frames, curtain rods, etc” said Darin.

While it may seem like these topics would be very advanced for an entry level tech-ed class, Darin assured Neirad that anyone can succeed in the class and no previous tech-ed experience is required.

“This class is for anyone who lives in a home or drives a car… we all run into problems at one time or another with a car or with our home so this class will just go over some basic troubleshooting steps to help you fix these problems yourself” said Darin.

I really enjoy this class because it is unlike any I’ve taken before. It’s a great way to break the normal routine every day and we’re always doing something different. It’s a great class

— Junior Patrick Conway

And it appears as if these skills really pay off. So far, the students in the class have really enjoyed their experience learning truly to do it themselves.

Junior Patrick Conway, as he worked determinedly to wire a set of lights, said “I really enjoy this class because it is unlike any I’ve taken before. It’s a great way to break the normal routine every day and we’re always doing something different. It’s a great class.”

“I would 100% recommend this class. I think that many basic skills that come with owning a car or home are lost in this day and age. I think this class provides stepping stones to really be a knowledgeable and cost efficient home or vehicle owner” said Ford.

When class registration rolls around again in February, consider adding Do It Yourself to you list of courses for next year.

Neirad • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in